Thursday, 27 February 2014

Review : Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 Sunglasses

Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 with Smoke lenses
I have always used my regular sunnies for any exercise, be it cycling, running, walking the dog, etc.  Basically, I use my expensive Oakleys for everything!  The lenses got ridiculously scratched and the frames caked in a salty residue from excessive sweating.

I replaced the lenses for some ridiculous amount of money and vowed these glasses were NOT for exercise!  So I needed a new pair of exercise sunnies.  They had to be reasonably priced - less than $100, come with multiple lenses, and of course, look good.

I found a brand called Tifosi who specialise in sports glasses.  I'd never heard of them, but they have a huge range and are my kinda style.  Unfortunately, they don't have any stockists anywhere near me.



Internet to the rescue!  I found a random "unique jewellery" site that has Tifosi and delivers to Australia, and was fantastically priced.  My only other venture into online sunglasses purchase was a pair of Rudy Projects for cycling/running.  These were TERRIBLE!  Bounce, fog, uncomfy, pretty much everything bad about sunglasses, the Rudy's had in spades!  So naturally I was bit skeptical about buying something as personal as sunglasses over the net.

In the end, and after much deliberation over about a gazillion models, I went with the Tyrant 2.0.  They seemed to fit the bill.  They look awesome (in my humble opinion), come with three interchangeble lenses and I got them for under $80 - delivered - bargain!




I was very, VERY impressed when I took them for their first run.  Having always run in Oakley half jackets I thought no way an $80 pair would compare.  They not only compare, they smash the Oakleys when out running.

There is no bounce.  I guess the adjustable nose piece has something to do with this.  Bouncing sunglasses are SO frustrating when running.  Get the nose piece right, and they just sit there nicely minding their own business - not bobbing up every minute looking for attention.

They didn't fog up.  The conditions certainly weren't cold, but I've run in warmer conditions and my Oakleys fogged up pretty much straight away.  The lenses have a little ventilation gap in the top corner, seems to work wonders.  Such a little addition, but makes a world of difference.

They are seriously light!  I have no idea how much they weigh, but compared to my Oakleys, it was like I wasn't wearing anything.

What's in the box? Carry case, bag,
glasses and three lenses
They come with a standard carry case which also carries the extra lenses, and a carry bag/wiper bag which is always handy. The lenses are a piece of cake to changeover so no fiddling around getting finger prints all over them!

I've used the Smoke lenses on a clear blue Melbourne day, and the AC Red on overcast days.  Both suit the conditions fine.  I haven't tried the Clear lenses yet, but I presume they're clear. They also come with polarised lenses, at a bit more expense, for those that are that way inclined.  I can see the appeal of polarised lenses, but I prefer knowing exactly what sort of light transmission I am getting.

I wouldn't wear these as my "casual" glasses as the nose piece can be a touch uncomfortable, but then again, these aren't casual glasses.

Overall, these glasses are a  

9/10
 
I really can't fault them.  Marked down ever so slightly because on long runs the nose piece does rub a bit and get a bit irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment