Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Training Log Week Commencing 31st March

Sunday 6th April
Strava

I had a second birthday to attend pretty early this morning in the city so today was to be an optional run when I got home.

The sun was shining and it must've been about 25 degrees when I got home from the party.  Well, I wasn't about to let this opportunity slip, so I laced up and got cracking for a 7k recovery.

Did someone say recovery?  Not today!  I just felt great.  Everything seemed to be working nicely and it barely felt like I was working hard.  I cruised through the 7k in under 35 minutes, WAY too quick for it to be considered a recovery.  But hey, the body does what the body wants.

7.1km @ 4:51/km

Month to Date : 43.9km
Year to Date: 600.8km



Saturday 5th April
Strava

So today I decided to move my unofficial marathon forward a couple of weeks to Easter Saturday.  I feel like I'm ready and don't want to peak too soon and burn out, plus Easter Saturday gives me Good Friday off work to relax, then two days after to recover properly.

With that in mind I started a taper process today.  Todays run was always going to be light after last weekends 30, but I decided to just make things a bit tougher by doing it over an undulating course. There really wasn't any point in which I was running flat.  And it felt like there was a LOT more up than down!

But other than a stupid yappy doggy at my ankles for a while I got through unscathed and rather than an easy jog, I ended up with a pretty tough workout.  As it was only a short run too I was home pretty early so I did a set of core exercises after my rolling.

18.5k @ 5:12/km

Month to Date : 36.8km
Year to Date: 593.7km


Thursday 3rd Apr
 Strava

After not having any legs at all on Tuesday, I certainly knew they were around today - and they were NOT happy about running!  I still set a decent pace, but that was purely because my breathing and heart rate were well under control.

I'm getting a bit worried about a few niggles coming into my right leg again.  It seems to be very sore when I stop running.  Incredibly painful when rolling, particularly my hamstrings.  But 10 minutes later, everything seems to be back to normal.  I'm hoping it's just general soreness and fatigue and nothing more serious.

I've been doing all the work to avoid injury so if I get struck down with something I'll be seriously pissed off!

Anyway, with tomorrow being a rest day I'm going to go in with a really aggressive foam roller and spiky ball session tonight to see if I can loosen up whatever is causing issues in there.  Rest up tomorrow and hopefully be all good for what should in theory be a pretty cruisey 18k on Saturday.

I'm also hoping to get back on the bike on Sunday for the first time about 4 months, but only if everything is as it should be post Saturday run.

6.1k @ 4:58/km for today.

Month to Date : 18.3km
Year to Date: 575.5km


Wednesday 2nd Apr
Strava 

Autumn or Summer?  You decide.  5:45am, April 2 - 26 degrees!  Ridiculous!  And it wasn't one of those nice 26 degrees.  It was hot and muggy.  Add to that the thick taste of smoke in the air from the nearby back burning and it was not pleasant conditions.  And hill repeats.  Urgh!

3k to the bottom of the hill and then 5 x 60 second repeats.  It got pretty ugly.  Lots of sweat, quite a bit of swearing, ridiculously high heart rates and not a lot of fun.

I didn't foam roll on Monday and I forgot yesterday, so when I jumped on for a quick 10 minute roll this morning boy did it hurt!  I haven't had that sort of reaction to the foam roller in a long time, probably since I started actually.

So it was 6.2km in the end.

Month to Date : 12.2km
Year to Date: 569.4km

Tuesday 1st Apr
Strava

Hello?  Hello legs?  Anybody there?  Hmm, no answer.

That pretty much sums up my run today.  Boy am I glad this is an easy week!  Just a 6k lunch light session today and I felt every bit of it!  So much for easy!  Obviously that 30k took a bit more out of me than I thought because I just wasn't there today.  Everything felt like hard work.  It was hot and windy and I felt dehydrated right from the start.

But, no run is a wasted run and at least the legs got ticked over. 

6km @ 5:03/km pace.

Month to Date: 6km
Year to Date: 563.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment